Weekly Update: September 9-15
Posted by TNCS on Sep 8, 2017
- Monday, September 11
- Parents Association Meeting, 8am, Greenwood Commons
- 11th Grade Bonding Trip to the James River
- Wednesday, September 13
- College Rep Visit from Randolph College, Extra Help
- SpeakUp. Gallagher Foundation Parent Event, 7pm, Greenwood Commons
- Thursday, September 14
- 8th Grade Bonding Trip to Windy Hill
- College Rep Visit from Salem College, Extra Help
- Friday, September 15
- FINAL deadline for student forms
- Monday, September 18
- Stella & Dot Fundraiser at TNCS, 3-6:30pm
Student Life: Bonding Trips
This year every student is going on some type of adventure bonding trip with their class.
- One of the purposes of these trips is to celebrate the start of school so that all students recognize it as a fresh beginning.
- Another purpose is to facilitate bonding between new and former students outside of the confines of our classroom walls.
- Grade-level teachers will also lead specific grade-level talks on these trips in order to discuss the overall experience and expectations for that grade level.
TNCS is partnering with The Cameron K. Gallagher Foundation to help educate our students and community on issues related to mental health in teenagers. Their mission is to be a positive force that works to cultivate awareness and understanding of teenage depression and anxiety.
- For Parents: The CKG Foundation will hold a session for parents on Wednesday evening, September 13 at 7pm in Greenwood Commons of Founders Hall. Please click here to RSVP for this event.
- For Students: Grace Gallagher will be speaking to both our Middle School and Upper School students on Friday, September 15th. CKG will return to facilitate follow-up sessions during the school day the following week.
Parents Association Meetings
Mark your calendar – the first Parents Association meeting for the year will be on Monday, September 11 at 8am in Greenwood Commons in Founders Hall. All parents are invited to attend. Limited parking available on campus; overflow parking available at Scottish Rite Temple.
The deadline to register for the trip is September 30th. Trip leaders Julie Noble and Carolyn Latta will be holding two meetings in September for parents who are interested in learning more about the trip.
- Monday, September 18th, 7pm, Greenwood Commons in Founders Hall
- Thursday, September 21st, 8am, Greenwood Commons in Founders Hall
Click here to access the General Information and FAQ sheet. In our classes, we strive to bring history alive for our students, but this trip will allow them to experience reenacting history where it actually happened! If you have any questions, please contact Julie Noble or Carolyn Latta.
Grade Level Parent Gatherings
Grade level parent gatherings are a great way to get to know other parents in your child’s grade, hear from Nancy Foy and Division Directors, Eric Gobble or Carolyn Tisdale and Adam Rothschild, and ask questions. Please mark your calendar and plan to attend this gathering – click here to RSVP. All will take place on campus in Greenwood Commons. Light refreshments will be served.
- 5th/6th Grades: NEW DATE: Tuesday, October 10, 7pm
- 7th Grade: Wednesday, September 27, 7pm
- 8th Grade: Tuesday, October 3, 7pm
- 9th Grade: Tuesday, September 19, 7pm
- 10th Grade: Wednesday, October 11, 7pm
- 11th Grade: Monday, October 2, 7pm
- 12th Grade: Monday, September 25, 7pm
Coffee with Nancy
The first Coffee With Nancy will be Friday, September 22 at 8am in Greenwood Commons. This is a great time to meet other parents and hear updates from Nancy Foy. There will also be opportunity to ask questions and give feedback. Limited parking is available on campus, with overflow parking at Scottish Rite Temple.
Pizza Mondays (Beginning September 11)
Mondays are pizza days for lunch at TNCS. Beginning Monday, September 11, slices of cheese and pepperoni pizza from Domino’s are available. Students place their order on sheets posted on campus. Pizza is $1.50/slice. Drinks are also available for $1.00. Both are billed to the student’s account. Cash is not accepted.
We are looking for parent volunteers to help serve pizza on Mondays from 11:45am – 1:15. Click here to sign up to help!
Jason’s Deli Lunch Options Tuesday – Thursday
Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays students are able to purchase in advance lunches from Jason’s Deli. Orders are submitted online by noon the day before delivery. Click here for the order form, which can also be found via a link at the top of the school’s homepage.
Food Truck Fridays
Join us for our Food Truck Fridays! Upper School Lunch, 11:53 – 12:26; Middle School Lunch, 12:33 – 1:06.
- September 15 – Slideways Mobile Bistro
- September 22 – Carytown Burgers and Fries
- September 29 – The Boardwalk
Middle School News
8th Grade Trip
The 8th grade class will travel with their teachers to Windy Hill for an afternoon of mini golf, go-kart racing, and conversation on Thursday, September 14th. They’ll speak about the 8th grade experience at TNCS and enjoy the last moments of summer with their peers.
Upper School News
Community Service Assembly
Tricycle, a non-profit organization on a mission to improve the overall health of our community through urban agriculture, will be speaking to our Upper School students on Tuesday, September 12th during Extra Help. TNCS is partnering with Tricycle this year. All of our students will have an opportunity to volunteer throughout the year at one of Tricycle’s urban agricultural centers.
- 11th Grade: The entire junior class will travel with their teachers to the James River for an afternoon of kayaking, paddle boarding, and conversation on Monday, September 11th. They’ll speak about the junior year experience at TNCS and enjoy the last moments of summer with their peers on the river. **We were watching the forecast and it looks good for Monday – the trip is on!
- 10th Grade: The entire sophomore class will travel with their teachers to Windy Hill for an afternoon of mini golf, go-kart racing, and conversation on Wednesday, September 13th. They’ll speak about the sophomore year experience at TNCS and enjoy the last moments of summer with their peers.
9th Grade Parents Gathering
The 9th Grade Parents Gathering will be held Tuesday evening, September 19 in Greenwood Commons of Founders Hall. Please RSVP for this informal gathering of parents, teachers, and administrators to hear about topics pertinent to 9th grade. Light refreshments will be served.
College Rep Visit
On Wednesday, September 13th, a representative from Randolph College will be in Ms. Latta’s room during Extra Help. On Thursday, September 14th, a representative from Salem College (all women’s college) will be on campus during Extra Help in Ms. Latta’s room. Juniors and Seniors who are interested in learning more about these colleges should plan on attending.
Game schedules and scores can be found on www.tncsathletics.org.