Weekly Update: September 23-29
Posted by TNCS on Sep 22, 2017
Monday, September 25
- Merrimack College Rep on Campus, Extra Help
- 12th Grade Parent Gathering, 7pm, Greenwood Commons
Wednesday, September 27
- Lynchburg College Rep on Campus, Extra Help
- 7th Grade Parent Gathering, 7pm, Greenwood Commons
Friday, September 29
- Field Day, Tier 1 Dress
Lifetouch will be on campus for picture day for grades 5-11 on Thursday, October 5 (makeup day November 8). See details below regarding placing orders for photo packages. If you have questions with the ordering process, please call 800.736.4753 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Online orders: visit mylifetouch.com. Use the Picture Day ID: RV157081Q0 (both are zero’s, not oh’s). They accept Mastercard, Visa, AmEx, and Paypal.
- Cash/Check: Paper copies of the order forms will go home with students this week. Please make checks payable to Lifetouch. Forms may be turned in to the main office anytime prior to or on picture day.
Seniors will have their picture day on Monday, October 30. Details on senior picture day will be coming soon.
Europe Trip 2018
Last call to sign up for the Summer 2018 Europe trip! The deadline to register for the trip is Saturday, September 30th. This trip is available to current 8th, 9th, 10th, and 11th grade students.
- Click here to access the trip website and to register. Username is Europe2018 and password is Noble.
- Click here to access the PDF forms with trip information and FAQs.
- Click here for the trip itinerary.
Field Day will be on Friday, September 29th. The entire school participates in this afternoon of friendly competition. Students may dress in tier 1 attire on this day.
Grade Level Parent Gatherings
Grade level parent gatherings are a great way to get to know other parents in your child’s grade, hear from Nancy Foy and Division Directors, Eric Gobble or Carolyn Tisdale and Adam Rothschild, and ask questions. Please mark your calendar and plan to attend this gathering – click here to RSVP. All will take place on campus in Greenwood Commons. Light refreshments will be served.
- 5th/6th Grades: Tuesday, October 10, 7pm
- 7th Grade: Wednesday, September 27, 7pm
- 8th Grade: Tuesday, October 3, 7pm
- 10th Grade: Wednesday, October 11, 7pm
- 11th Grade: Monday, October 2, 7pm
- 12th Grade: Monday, September 25, 7pm
Parent Security Badges
Parents, please remember to wear your permanent security badge lanyard anytime you are on campus. It is a good idea to keep it in your car so you always have it on hand. New parents received theirs at New Student Orientation. If you did not receive a badge, or have misplaced your badge from last year, please let April Eddleton know so we can issue a replacement.
Decoding Dyslexia Meeting
Decoding Dyslexia Virginia’s next monthly meeting will be Monday, October 2 from 7-8:30pm at Riverside School. The topic will be “Working Toward the IEP Your Child Needs”. Decoding Dyslexia meetings are open to anyone interested.
Mondays are pizza days for lunch at TNCS, to benefit the athletic department. Slices of cheese and pepperoni pizza from Domino’s are available. Students place their order on sheets posted on campus. Pizza is $1.50/slice. Drinks are also available for $1.00. Both are billed to the student’s account. Cash is not accepted.
We are looking for parent volunteers to help serve pizza on Mondays from 11:45am – 1:15. Click here to sign up to help!
Jason’s Deli Lunch Options Tuesday – Thursday
Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays students are able to purchase in advance lunches from Jason’s Deli. Orders are submitted online by noon the day before delivery. Click here for the order form, which can also be found via a link at the top of the school’s homepage.
Food Truck Fridays
Join us for our Food Truck Fridays! Upper School Lunch, 11:53 – 12:26; Middle School Lunch, 12:33 – 1:06.
- September 29 – The Boardwalk
- October 6 – The Boardwalk
- October 13 – Pizza Day – Proceeds to benefit TNCS Athletics
- October 20 – No Classes, Progress Review
- October 27 – Carytown Burgers and Fries
MIDDLE SCHOOL NEWS
Student Life Class Bonding Trips
- The MS Bonding Trips to Triple C were a great success! Our MS students spent the day guided by a facilitator through numerous challenges. The goal of the day was to figure out how to work as a team player. Our kids faced the challenges in front of them and left the camp with the gift of teamwork.
UPPER SCHOOL NEWS
Seniors who plan on taking the November SAT on November 4th and 5th should plan on registering for the SAT by October 5th. If you have questions or would like help while registering, please contact Ms. Latta.
PSAT/NMSQT for Juniors
Juniors will have the opportunity to take the PSAT/NMSQT on Saturday, October 14th. The test will begin at 8:30am, so students will need to arrive on campus no later than 8:15am. To cover test administration costs, a fee of $36 will be charged to student accounts. Click here to access the permission form. Please return the form as soon as possible. Ms. Latta will hold pre-administration meetings during Extra Help leading up to the test where students will receive information on what to bring and expect during the test. If you have any questions, please contact Carolyn Latta at CLatta@TNCS.org.
College Rep Visits
This week, Jessica Dumais from Merrimack College will visit TNCS during Extra Help on Monday, September 25th. Dara Logan from Lynchburg College will visit during Extra help on Wednesday, September 27th. Any interested juniors and seniors should plan on coming to Ms. Latta’s room during Extra Help on these dates. Upcoming college representatives include:
- October 3 – Roanoke College
- October 11 – Randolph-Macon College
- October 18 – Longwood University
- October 23 – University of Mary Washington
- October 25 – Shenandoah University
- October 30 – Radford University
- November 1 – Ferrum College
Stay tuned for more colleges to be added to the list.
11th and 12th Grade Parent Gatherings
The 11th Grade Parent Gathering will be Monday, October 2, and the 12th Grade Parent Gathering will be Monday, September 25. Both will be from 7-9pm in Greenwood Commons. Light refreshments will be served. If you have not already, please click here to RSVP.
The Gallagher Foundation ran two follow-up sessions for Upper School students this week, and will return to campus for one more session this Tuesday. Our students are having wonderful discussions on self-management and learning strategies to monitor mental health in themselves and in others.
Game schedules and scores can be found on www.tncsathletics.org.