Weekly Update: September 22-28
Posted by TNCS on Sep 21, 2018
Monday, September 24
- 5th & 6th Grade Parent Gathering, 7pm, Fender home
Tuesday, September 25
- University of Lynchburg rep on campus
- 9th Grade Parent Gathering, 7pm, Browne home
Wednesday, September 26
- Last day to place pre-order for Friday’s cheesesteak lunch
- Old Dominion University rep on campus
- 7th Grade Parent Gathering, 7pm, Williams home
Thursday, September 27
- Randolph-Macon College rep on campus
- 8th Grade Parent Gathering, 7pm, Conn home
Friday, September 28
- NHS sponsored cheesesteak lunch
- Field Day
- Deadline for seniors to register for the October ACT
Tech Tip of the Week
If you can’t find something you know you have on your device, don’t forget you have a powerful search tool – Spotlight! This tool will help you locate documents, apps, emails, etc. On a laptop the Spotlight tool is in the upper right corner, directly left of the Siri icon. On an iPad, place your finger in the middle of the screen and pull it in a downward motion.
Having a difficult time finding class pages on Portals? Here is a video tutorial on locating class pages. Did you know that Portals has an app? This app takes the same credentials for your Portals account.
Apple app link
Google Play app link
NHS is sponsoring a Cheesesteak lunch on Friday, September 28. A sandwich costs $6 and a combo lunch (sandwich, chips, and a drink) costs $8. Lunches will be charged to student accounts. Pre-orders will be taken until Wednesday, September 26. There will be no food truck on this day.
Next Friday the 28th is Field Day! This whole-school activity includes games on the soccer field where students participate in teams with Senior leaders. This is a Tier-1 event, but each team should be dressed in their team color. Your child should know what their team color is, but if they don’t remember, you can check in with Mr. Keevil at firstname.lastname@example.org. Field Day is always a fun way to get to know other students and bond as a community.
Parent Grade Level Gatherings
The Parent Grade Level Gatherings are a great chance to meet other parents in your child’s grade, hear from the Head of School and Division Director, ask questions, and share experiences. We hope you will plan to attend this event – details are below. RSVP to Virginia McAndrew: email@example.com, 804.266.2494 x2251.
- 5th & 6th Grades: Monday, September 24, 7pm, Fender home, dinner provided
- 7th Grade: Wednesday, September 26, 7pm, Williams home, dinner provided
- 8th Grade: Thursday, September 27, 7pm, Conn home, heavy hors d’oeuvres provided
- 9th Grade: Tuesday, September 25, 7pm, Browne home, heavy hors d’oeuvres provided
- 11th Grade: Tuesday, October 2, 7pm, Dames/Siegel home, dinner provided
- 12th Grade: Thursday, October 18, 7pm, Marcia home, dinner provided
Calendar Date Change
Please note that School Picture Day has moved to Monday, October 22. Makeup day will now be on Thursday, November 8. Click here for an updated version of the printable calendar.
Decoding Dyslexia Meeting
Decoding Dyslexia VA invites TNCS parents to their next meeting on Monday, October 1, 7:30pm at the Bon Air Public Library. Guest Speaker will be Rebecca Hodell, Henrico County Dyslexia Advisor. Click here for more details.
UPPER SCHOOL NEWS
College Rep Visits
Three college representatives will be visiting TNCS this week.
- Tuesday, September 25th, Dara Logan from the University of Lynchburg
- Wednesday, September 26th, TeCarla Moore from Old Dominion University
- Thursday, September 27th, Olivia McGuckin from Randolph-Macon College.
The representatives will be in Mrs. Harley’s room (Morris Hall, Room 103) during Extra Help. Sophomores and Juniors who are interested in learning more about these colleges and Seniors who are applying to these colleges should plan on attending. The full list of college representatives that will be visiting TNCS this fall can be found here.
College Counseling Page on Portals for Seniors
Seniors now have a College Counseling page on Portals. Important dates/deadlines and information will be posted there regularly. Links to resources and checklists for tracking college applications are also uploaded to the page. Parents, please encourage your senior to make an appointment with Mrs. Harley during advising time, Extra Help, or after school and feel free to join us.
SAT & ACT for Seniors
Upcoming SAT dates:
- October 6 & 7: If your student would like to take the October 6th and 7th SAT, the student can register BEFORE the late registration deadline of September 26th, but there is a $29 late fee.
- November 3 & 4: The next SAT testing dates for Seniors will be November 3rd and 4th. Students should register using their College Board accounts. The SAT registration fee is $47.50. The registration deadline is Friday, October 5th. Students are welcome to see Mrs. Harley in Morris Hall, Room 103 for registration help.
Upcoming ACT dates:
- October 27 & 28: The next ACT testing dates for Seniors are October 27th and 28th. The registration deadline is Friday, September 28th. Students are welcome to see Mrs. Harley in Morris Hall, Room 103 for registration help.
Senior Leadership Retreat
Senior parents should have received an emailed permission slip for the Senior Leadership Retreat. Please respond to Mr. Keevil if your child plans to attend the trip with the requested information. If you have any questions, please contact Mr. Keevil.
Winter Saber Sports Sign-ups
The sign-up sheets for the winter Saber Sports season have been posted for students. This season runs roughly from mid-November to mid-February. We’re continually polling students and analyzing our options to expand our Saber Sports offerings. As members of VISAA (Virginia Independent Schools Athletic Association), a priority is to participate in state-sponsored sports. Beyond that, we work to accommodate student desires, maximize faculty availability, and partner with the greater community. Things we have offered in the last year (tennis, swimming) that did not “make” will not be offered this year but may be offered again in the next couple of years as populations and logistics change. It’s important that students sign up now so that coaches can be hired and games can be scheduled. We are not an athletic “cut” school, but students who do not sign up now and decide to show up at the start of the season may find there are no roster spots available.
Our (greatly expanded!) winter Saber Sports offerings:
BASKETBALL – MS girls, MS boys
- MS practices at TNCS are typically 3:30–4:30, 4 days/week. Some practices may be offsite with parent pick-up at TNCS at 5:15.
- Last year, we had 1 MS girls team and 4 MS boys teams that were divided by age and ability for practices and competitions.
BASKETBALL – US girls, US boys
- US practices are offsite or begin at TNCS after the MS practices are completed.
- There will be a study hall at school for US teams that start practice at 4:30 or later.
WRESTLING – Any TNCS students
- Wrestling will be offered in partnership with Richmond Wrestling Club.
- Participating students are responsible for joining RWC for the season.
- Depending on sign-ups, practices will likely be evenings in the wrestling room at St. Christopher’s School.
- Competitions will likely be through a local Sunday afternoon league.
ROCK CLIMBING – Any TNCS students
- Rock Climbing will be offered in partnership with Triangle Rock Club.
- Participating students are responsible for joining TRC for the season.
- Students will be bused to TRC and supervised by TNCS faculty.
- Sessions will be after school 3-4 days/week.
Daily schedules for each team can be found at www.tncsathletics.org. Please create a FAN ACCOUNT for your child’s team so you can receive alerts of schedule changes.
Mondays are pizza days for lunch at TNCS, to benefit the athletic department. Slices of cheese and pepperoni pizza from Domino’s are available. Students place their order on sheets posted on campus. Pizza is $1.50/slice. Drinks are also available for $1.00. Both are billed to the student’s account. Cash is not accepted.
We are looking for parent volunteers to help serve pizza on Mondays from 11:45am – 1:15. Click here to sign up to help!
Jason’s Deli Lunch Options Tuesday – Thursday
Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays students are able to purchase in advance lunches from Jason’s Deli. Orders are submitted online by noon the day before delivery. Click here for the order form, which can also be found via a link at the top of the school’s homepage.
Food Truck Fridays
Join us for our Food Truck Fridays! Upper School Lunch, 12:32 – 1:05; Middle School Lunch, 11:58 – 12:31.