Weekly Update: September 20 – October 5
Posted by TNCS on Sep 28, 2018
Tuesday, October 2
- 11th Grade Parent Gathering, 7pm, Dames-Siegel home
Thursday, October 4
- Stella & Dot Fundraiser, 3-7pm, The Cottage
Friday, October 5
- Field Day
- Registration Deadline for the November SAT
Tech Tip of the Week
Free up space on your device. Get ahead of any performance issues due to lack of space on your device by regularly emptying your trash can. Click and hold the Trash icon in the Dock and choose Empty Trash. On a laptop, the trash can is located at the far right of the dock. On an iPad there are apps that have a “Recently Deleted” section. The apps usually will hold items for 30 days and then delete them permanently from the iPad. If you know you won’t need something, you can go into the “Recently Deleted” folder and permanently delete those items before the 30–day time line expires.
Stella & Dot Fundraiser
You are invited to a Stella & Dot Fundraiser to benefit TNCS! NEXT WEEK! Thursday, October 4, 3-7pm at The Cottage (rain location: Gym Lobby) OR online now through the event! Kelly Cox is once again coming back to campus for this popular event. Thanks to her, a portion of all sales goes directly to support the programs of The New Community School. Brought to you by the Parents Association and Stella & Dot stylist Kelly Cox.
- Stop by the Cottage and shop before carpool (we’ll be there early so you can swing by before pick-up!), during sports practices, or while you cheer on our volleyball Sabers (4:30 and 5:30).
- CAN’T MAKE IT ON OCTOBER 4? You can order – starting now – online! Orders placed now and through the event – by using this link only – will count for the TNCS fundraiser.
- Remind your student to check Lost and Found in the Founders vending area for items they may have misplaced.
- Please label clothing and jackets with your student’s name.
- If you see laundry you don’t recognize, your child may have picked up someone else’s by accident! Feel free to bring the item to school, and we will attempt to reunite it with its owner.
Next Friday the 5th is the rescheduled Field Day! This whole-school activity includes games on the soccer field where students participate in teams with Senior leaders. This is a Tier-1 event, but each team should be dressed in their team color. Your child should know what their team color is, but if they don’t remember, you can check in with Mr. Keevil at firstname.lastname@example.org. Field Day is always a fun way to get to know other students and bond as a community.
Parent Grade Level Gatherings
The Parent Grade Level Gatherings are a great chance to meet other parents in your child’s grade, hear from the Head of School and Division Director, ask questions, and share experiences. We hope you will plan to attend this event – details are below. RSVP to Virginia McAndrew: email@example.com, 804.266.2494 x2251.
- 11th Grade: Tuesday, October 2, 7pm, Dames/Siegel home, dinner provided
- 12th Grade: Thursday, October 18, 7pm, Marcia home, dinner provided
Calendar Date Change
Please note that School Picture Day has moved to Monday, October 22. Makeup day will now be on Thursday, November 8. Click here for an updated version of the printable calendar.
Decoding Dyslexia Meeting
Decoding Dyslexia VA invites TNCS parents to their next meeting on Monday, October 1, 7:30pm at the Bon Air Public Library. Guest Speaker will be Rebecca Hodell, Henrico County Dyslexia Advisor. Click here for more details.
UPPER SCHOOL NEWS
College Rep Visits
Three college representatives will be visiting TNCS this week.
- Tuesday, October 2nd, Adam Anderson from James Madison University
- Wednesday, October 3rd, Jerry Brown, Jr. from Radford University
- Thursday, October 4th, Lynn McMullin from Christopher Newport University
The representatives will be in Mrs. Harley’s room (Morris Hall, Room 103) during Extra Help. Sophomores and Juniors who are interested in learning more about these colleges and Seniors who are applying to these colleges should plan on attending. The full list of college representatives that will be visiting TNCS this fall can be found here.
- October 6 & 7: Students who are taking the SAT on October 6th and 7th should be on campus both days no later than 8:15am. Testing will begin soon after in Room 103 of Morris Hall (Arts & Humanities). Students should bring the following with them on both days of the test: computer, charger, headphones, #2 pencils, snacks, and water. Students will also need to bring the admission ticket that contains the registration number needed for the test.
- November 3 & 4: The next SAT testing dates for Seniors will be November 3rd and 4th. Students should register using their College Board accounts. The SAT registration fee is $47.50. The registration deadline is Friday, October 5th. Students are welcome to see Mrs. Harley in Morris Hall, Room 103 for registration help.
PSAT for Juniors
Juniors will have the opportunity to take the PSAT on Saturday, October 13th. The test will begin at 8:30am, so students should arrive on campus no later than 8:15am. To cover test administration costs, a fee of $25 will be charged to student accounts. Please email Mrs. Harley to grant permission for your student to take the test and agree for your account to be billed for the fee. Mrs. Harley will hold pre-administration meetings during Extra Help prior to the test. Students who attend will receive information on what to bring and expect during the test. If you have any questions, please contact Kim Harley.
Daily schedules for each team can be found at www.tncsathletics.org. Please create a FAN ACCOUNT for your child’s team so you can receive alerts of schedule changes.
Mondays are pizza days for lunch at TNCS, to benefit the athletic department. Slices of cheese and pepperoni pizza from Domino’s are available. Students place their order on sheets posted on campus. Pizza is $1.50/slice. Drinks are also available for $1.00. Both are billed to the student’s account. Cash is not accepted.
We are looking for parent volunteers to help serve pizza on Mondays from 11:45am – 1:15. Click here to sign up to help!
Jason’s Deli Lunch Options Tuesday – Thursday
Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays students are able to purchase in advance lunches from Jason’s Deli. Orders are submitted online by noon the day before delivery. Click here for the order form, which can also be found via a link at the top of the school’s homepage.
Food Truck Fridays
Join us for our Food Truck Fridays! Upper School Lunch, 12:32 – 1:05; Middle School Lunch, 11:58 – 12:31.