Weekly Update: October 26 – November 2
Posted by TNCS on Oct 26, 2018
Saturday, October 27 & Sunday, October 28
- ACT Testing
Monday, October 29
- 8th Grade Science Trip to Bryan Park
- 8th Grade Shadowing Upper School
Wednesday, October 31
- Halloween Celebration
Thursday, November 1
- Parent/Advisor Conference Day, no classes
Students are allowed to wear school-appropriate costumes to school on Wednesday. We will have a celebration at the end of the day.
An updated Student/Parent Directory is available on Portals. When you first login to Portals, the School Links and Files section is at the bottom of the page with a link to download.
Tech Tip of the Week
JumpRope Reports Troubleshooting Guide – Did you have issues accessing your child’s Progress Report? Did you know that most email programs are configured to recognize a ‘bulk’ email? This is an email that is automatically configure by a mail ‘bot’ (short for robot), it has certain recognizable elements that could cause a mail program to sweep it into the junk folder. Here are a few practical tips that may make it easier to access their report.
- Add the JumpRope email bot to your address book: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Check your Spam, Junk, Clutter, etc. Folders – if the email is there, mark it as Not Spam (Junk, Clutter, etc.)
- Check your browser settings – popups blocked could impact downloading the report
- Try to copy and paste the link into a browser
- You can always go to the live page to see current growth
- You can always reach out to school for assistance
Parents Association Fall Raffle!
Support the TNCS Parents Association fall fundraiser by purchasing raffle tickets. These tickets are open to anyone to purchase, so please share with family, friends, etc. All proceeds raised go back to directly supporting the school! Click here to purchase tickets.
Faculty Spotlight: Published Poet Kelsey Orsini
Congratulations to English teacher Kelsey Orsini for having her poetry published in the fall edition of Blazevox! Her poem, “Links From My Mother”, is a found poem created from roughly 30 pages of source material- the texts and transcripts of frequently shared news articles and videos.
Decoding Dyslexia Virginia Meeting
The next meeting of Decoding Dyslexia Virginia will be Monday, November 5 at 7pm in the Bon Air Public Library. Guest Robin Hegner will be available to answer questions in an open discussion. Click here for more details.
MIDDLE SCHOOL NEWS
8th Grade Shadowing Upper School
On Monday, 8th grade students will shadow an Upper School buddy during their afternoon classes in order to start to understand the Upper School experience at TNCS. Following classes, they will have time to debrief the experience with their advisor. I encourage you to ask your 8th grader what they learned!
UPPER SCHOOL NEWS
Physical Science Trip
Physical Science students will continue their visits to Hamilton-Beach, a few students at a time, on Monday and Tuesday this week to continue their study of engineering. These trips will not impact arrival or dismissal times.
11th Grade College Trip
On November 5th – 7th, the Junior Class will be traveling to visit Longwood University, University of Lynchburg, and James Madison University. This is an annual event that provides TNCS juniors with an opportunity to experience a slice of college life by touring a variety of college types, sizes, and geographical settings. This trip provides the students with time to foster relationships with their classmates and prepare for the college selection process.
Congratulations to the following seniors who have been accepted to colleges:
- Ross: Hampden-Sydney College
- Morgan: Longwood University
- Emma: University of Lynchburg
- Alex: Roanoke College
- Olivia O: Juniata College
College & Career Counseling
- Conference Day, on November 1st, is a good day for students and/or parents to meet with Mrs. Harley. Email email@example.com to schedule an appointment.
- Seniors: Click here for college application reminders.
SAT & ACT for Seniors
Students who are taking the SAT on November 3rd and 4th should be on campus both days no later than 8:15am. Testing will begin soon after in Founders-202, Ms. Savarese’s room. Students should bring the following with them on both days of the test: computer, charger, headphones, #2 pencils, snacks, and water. Students will also need to bring the admission ticket that contains the registration number needed for the test.
Next testing dates:
- The next SAT testing dates for Seniors are December 1st and 2nd. Students should register using their College Board accounts. The SAT registration fee is $47.50. The registration deadline is Friday, November 2nd.
- The next ACT testing dates for Seniors are December 8th and 9th. The registration deadline is Friday, November 2nd. Students should register through act.org.
- Students are welcome to see Mrs. Harley in Morris Hall, Room 103 for registration help.
TNCS Combines Forces with Triangle Rock Club
We had a great response from 30 students who signed up for our inaugural TNCS rock climbing team. Triangle Rock Club will be sending a link to those families for registration and payment. This is going to be a very exciting season! Instructors will be working closely with our students giving climbing lessons.
- Sessions begin on Monday, November 12 and run through mid-February
- Sessions will be Mondays and Thursdays throughout the season, 4–5pm
- TNCS faculty, Josh Roy and Jarrod Boitet, will bus students and supervise each session
- Family cost of $295 includes a season of instruction from TRC staff and climbing harness rental for each session
Basketball Still a Hit
75 Sabers have registered for basketball! We will have 7 (5 boys, 2 girls) teams – varsity girls, middle school girls, varsity boys, junior varsity boys, plus 3 MS boys teams that will be separated by ability and experience.
- All Boys practices begin Monday, November 5. The first week will be used to determine team placement for each boy.
- All Girls practices begin Monday, November 12 for the middle school and varsity teams.
- Practice times and places (remember, 7 teams/1 court) for teams vary according to day and according to team. US teams will often practice at TNCS 4:30–6:30. Some MS teams will practice 3:30–4:30. TNCS also rents off-campus courts 4–5pm each day that teams will be bused to and from.
- Full daily schedules for each team will be posted at www.tncsathletics.org prior to the start of the season.
Not Ready for Wrestling
We did not have enough students sign up to launch a Saber wrestling program this year. Students who are interested in joining a club program should see Coach Gobble for recommendations.
Daily schedules for each team can be found at www.tncsathletics.org. Please create a FAN ACCOUNT for your child’s team so you can receive alerts of schedule changes.
Mondays are pizza days for lunch at TNCS, to benefit the athletic department. Slices of cheese and pepperoni pizza from Domino’s are available. Students place their order on sheets posted on campus. Pizza is $1.50/slice. Drinks are also available for $1.00. Both are billed to the student’s account. Cash is not accepted.
We are looking for parent volunteers to help serve pizza on Mondays from 11:45am – 1:15. Click here to sign up to help!
Jason’s Deli Lunch Options Tuesday – Thursday
Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays students are able to purchase in advance lunches from Jason’s Deli. Orders are submitted online by noon the day before delivery. Click here for the order form, which can also be found via a link at the top of the school’s homepage.
Food Truck Fridays
Join us for our Food Truck Fridays! Upper School Lunch, 12:32 – 1:05; Middle School Lunch, 11:58 – 12:31.
- Friday, November 2 – Carytown Burgers & Fries
- Friday, November 9– The Boardwalk
- Friday, November 16 – Carytown Burgers and Fries
- Friday, November 23 – Thanksgiving Break
- Friday, November 30 – Pizza Lunch benefiting Saber Athletics