Weekly Update: November 23 – December 6
Posted by TNCS on Nov 22, 2019
Tuesday, November 26
- Grandparents Day, 9-noon
- Noon Dismissal
Monday, December 2
- Faculty Professional Development Day, no classes
Wednesday, December 4
- READ Art Show & Sale Meeting, 4pm, Westbrook House
Grandparents and Special Friends Day is this coming Tuesday from 9am-noon. There will be a half day schedule for all students. If your child’s grandparent or special friend have not RSVP’d, it is not too late. Please email email@example.com.
While not a full “Tier 3” day, we have asked all students to dress well to welcome our guests. All students should wear a collared shirt or blouse, slacks, khakis or chinos, or a dress or skirt. Please no sweatpants, leggings, jeans, or shorts that day. Your division director’s weekly email will have more information.
Last Chance to Purchase Raffle Tickets and Support the PA!
Raffle ticket sales end this Tuesday, November 26. If you haven’t purchased your tickets yet now is the time! Purchase tickets here. Don’t forget to turn in any unsold tickets to Mrs. Fields in Massey Hall. *Families will not be charged for unsold tickets; we are just trying to account for them. Thank you!
After School Study Hall
On Wednesday, December 11th there will be no After School Study Hall for both Middle School and Upper School Students. If your child is not participating in Athletics, please plan to pick them up at 3:30pm.
The last day of ASSH for ALL students will be on Thursday, December 12th. From December 13th – 18th , there will be no ASSH. Middle School parents of 5th-7th graders, please plan to pick up your child at 3:30pm for dismissal.
UPPER SCHOOL NEWS
National History Day
National History Day is accepting applications for student-teacher teams to participate in a travel opportunity this summer surrounding the study of World War 2 on the Pacific front. For more information, please contact Mr. Rothschild. The deadline for application is December 2. (This is not a TNCS-sponsored trip – it is being run by the National History Day organization.)
Congratulations on college acceptances!
- Morgan Crews: Randolph-Macon College
- Adam Davis: Southside Virginia Community College
- Joseph DeShazo: Hood College and Randolph-Macon College
- Michael Poole: Randolph-Macon College
- Joe Seckora: Old Dominion University and Michigan State University
Juniors and seniors who are taking the SAT on December 7th and 8th should be on campus both days no later than 8:15am. Testing will begin soon after in Morris Hall. Students should bring the following with them on both days of the test: computer CHARGER, headphones, approved calculator, #2 pencils, snacks, and water. Students will also need to bring the admission ticket they received at registration.
Senior College Application Reminders
- Send Scores from your College Board Account two weeks ahead of the application deadline.
- Select Admission Plan for each college on your Dashboard in the Common Application.
- Assign teachers/others as Recommenders to EACH college.
- Finalize and copy/paste your essay into the Common Application.
- Request Letters of Recommendation well ahead of the deadline. It is recommended that these letters be written by Thanksgiving Break.
- Review the Common Application/other applications thoroughly to ensure that you have included activities, honors, and awards.
- Be Proactive! December 1 and January 1 deadlines are quickly approaching! Submit applications early for best results.
- Admission plans with a December 1 deadline should be applied for by November 26!
- Notify Mrs. Harley BEFORE you submit applications.
Click here for a list of Virginia College/University Open Houses.
PSAT scores will be released in early December. All juniors will analyze their individual score reports in Junior Seminar. Juniors will have access to customized SAT practice through their linked College Board and Khan Academy accounts.
Daily schedules for each team can be found at www.tncsathletics.org. Please create a FAN ACCOUNT for your child’s team so you can receive alerts of schedule changes.
Mondays are pizza days for lunch at TNCS, to benefit the athletic department. Slices of cheese and pepperoni pizza from Domino’s are available. Students place their order on sheets posted on campus. Pizza is $1.50/slice. Drinks are also available for $1.00. Both are billed to the student’s account. Cash is not accepted.
We are looking for parent volunteers to help serve pizza on Mondays, and a few Fridays, from 11:45am – 1:15. Click here to sign up to help!
Jason’s Deli Lunch Options Tuesday – Thursday
Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays students are able to purchase in advance lunches from Jason’s Deli. Orders are submitted online by noon the day before delivery. Click here for the order form, which can also be found via a link at the top of the school’s homepage.
Food Truck Fridays
Join us for our Food Truck Fridays! Upper School Lunch, 12:32 – 1:05; Middle School Lunch, 12:03 – 12:33.
- Friday, November 29 – No Classes: Thanksgiving Break
- Friday, December 6 – Pizza Lunch benefitting Saber Athletics
- Friday, December 13 – No Food Truck
- Grades 8-12: Exams, Special Schedule
- Grades 5-7: Jason’s Deli Delivery Available