Weekly Update: February 9-15
Posted by TNCS on Feb 8, 2019
Monday, February 11
- Spirit Week: Meme or Movie Day Monday
- Upper School “Exploring Possibilities” Speaker Series part 3
Tuesday, February 10
- Spirit Week: Tie-Dye Tuesday
Wednesday, February 13
- Spirit Week: Way Back Wednesday
Thursday, February 14
- Spirit Week: Saber Spirit Thursday; Awards given at Senior Night
- Jostens Rep on Campus to Meet with Seniors, 3:30pm, Drama Room, Founders Hall
- Girls Varsity Basketball Senior Night, 7pm
- Saber Store Kiosk Open During Triple-Header Basketball Games, Gym Lobby
Friday, February 15
- Professional Development Day, no classes
- Parents Association Hosted Lunch for Faculty
READ Art Show & Sale: Volunteers
The 11th annual READ Art Show & Sale is March 22-23! READ showcases work by regional artists and was voted Best Art Event and Best Annual Charity Event in Virginia Living Magazine’s Best of Virginia 2018. It takes all week to set up the event, which starts Friday, March 22 with a ticketed opening reception, and is open free on Saturday, March 23. This is the Parents Association’s big fundraiser and they rely on parents to help make it happen. Click here to view a Sign Up Genius for the week of READ to see how you can help! There some items to be donated, and plenty of volunteer jobs throughout the week. Thank you in advance for your help with this event! Be on the lookout for your invitation in the mail soon! Contact April Eddleton with questions.
A special announcement from the Upper School Student Advisory Board: Next week is spirit week! Come dressed to the theme of the day and win prizes to be given out to the best dressed each day. Special prizes will be awarded at the girls’ varsity basketball Senior Night at 7pm on Thursday, February 14th!
- Meme or Movie Day Monday: Dress as your favorite meme or movie character
- Tie-dye Tuesday: Wear as much tie-dye as you can!
- Way back Wednesday:
- 5th, 6th, 9th, and 10th, dress like the hippies from the 70s
- 7th, 8th, 11th, and 12th pull out those grunge outfits for the 90s
- Saber Spirit Thursday: Deck yourselves out in black and gold and seniors, wear all white!
Remember that all outfits must be school appropriate. If students choose to not dress up, then they must wear typical Tier-2 clothing.
Saber Store Kiosk
We are pleased to announce the opening of our new Saber Store! Available at our new kiosk (a gift from the Parents Association!) and online, this is where you can purchase t-shirts, sweatshirts, Nike golf shirts, hats, socks, drinkware, and more! Click here for some helpful details regarding making a purchase. The next event the kiosk will be open is the basketball triple-header games on Thursday, February 14.
The TNCS Summer Programs brochure is live and registration is open! Classes are held from June 17 – July 12. Click here to see this year’s brochure. Register early and save!
PA sponsored lunch for faculty – sign up!
Thank you to those who have already signed up. We are still looking for some volunteers for the luncheon scheduled for Friday. If you’re able, please sign-up to bring something or volunteer your time. This is a great way to show our appreciation for our faculty and staff. Thank you in advance! Click here for the Sign-up Genius to sign up. Questions? Contact Natalee Johnsrud, 804-543-8500, Decoursey2@gmail.com
Tech Tip of the Week
Organize your iPad apps by creating folders for similar apps. Imagine how easy it would be to find a math app if they were all in one folder. Follow these steps to create your own folders:
- Touch an app and hold the icon until it jiggles (this is edit mode) Note: Careful not to hit the ‘x’ in the upper left corner, that will delete your app.
- Pull the icon on top of an app you’d like to be in the same folder
- Pull all apps you want to move into the folder
- Rename your folder
MIDDLE SCHOOL NEWS
Great Reading Games
Congratulations to Maggie Davis who won the Great Reading Games prize drawing this week. She won a $25 Mastercard gift card for reading 20 minutes a day for 5 days on Learning Ally. She was one of five students in the Middle School who qualified for the drawing. Students who read 20 minutes for 5 days between Friday, February 1, and Friday, February 8, are eligible for the next $25 gift card drawing. The winner will be announced on Monday. There will be two more prize drawings before the Great Reading Games ends on February 22. Students are encouraged to support their Battle of the Books team by reading from the competition book list. Read on, Sabers!
UPPER SCHOOL NEWS
Jostens Orders for Seniors
Graduation day is only 114 days away! Jostens, our graduation supply company, will be meeting with our seniors on:
- Thursday, February 14, 3:30pm in the Drama Room in Founders Hall to learn about ordering caps, gowns and graduation announcements. During this meeting, students will be given order forms. Seniors must order a cap and gown, but graduation announcements are not required.
- Thursday, February 21, 3pm in Greenwood Commons to collect orders.
Senior parents are welcome to join these meetings! Additional details regarding the ordering process will also be emailed to senior parents. Questions? Please contact Laura Fields.
Recent College Acceptances
- Cole, Virginia Commonwealth University, School of Engineering
Many colleges have application deadlines on March 1st and 15th! Seniors are encouraged to complete college applications, send SAT/ACT scores, and request official transcripts to be sent, if needed. Seniors should check the website for a specific college’s application deadlines and allow time to submit the application and supporting documentation. Seniors who still need to apply to colleges or meet with Mrs. Harley should schedule an appointment during 2nd, 3rd, Break, Lunch, 6th, 7th, Advisory, or Extra Help.
SCAD College Rep Visit
On February 21st, the Assistant Director of Admission at SCAD, Steve Douglas, will be on campus. Steve will share information pertaining to SCAD’s academic programs with all Upper School students during a brief assembly and afterwards he will be in Morris Hall, Room 103, for a Q&A session. Click here to learn more about the 40+ academic programs that SCAD has to offer.
Daily schedules for each team can be found at www.tncsathletics.org. Please create a FAN ACCOUNT for your child’s team so you can receive alerts of schedule changes.
Mondays are pizza days for lunch at TNCS, to benefit the athletic department. Slices of cheese and pepperoni pizza from Domino’s are available. Students place their order on sheets posted on campus. Pizza is $1.50/slice. Drinks are also available for $1.00. Both are billed to the student’s account. Cash is not accepted.
We are looking for parent volunteers to help serve pizza on Mondays from 11:45am – 1:15. Click here to sign up to help!
Jason’s Deli Lunch Options Tuesday – Thursday
Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays students are able to purchase in advance lunches from Jason’s Deli. Orders are submitted online by noon the day before delivery. Click here for the order form, which can also be found via a link at the top of the school’s homepage.
Food Truck Fridays
Join us for our Food Truck Fridays! Upper School Lunch, 12:32 – 1:05; Middle School Lunch, 11:58 – 12:31.
- Friday, February 15 – Professional Development, No Classes
- Friday, February 22 – Pizza Lunch benefiting TNCS Athletics