Weekly Update: April 7-13
Posted by TNCS on Mar 30, 2018
Monday, April 2 – Friday, April 6
- Spring Break, no classes
Wednesday, April 11
- Sophomore Parent College Counseling Meeting, 8am, Greenwood Commons
Thursday, April 12-13
- Junior College Trip
Saturday, April 14
Coffee with Nancy
On Friday April 13, join us for Coffee with Nancy. Senior Seminar teacher Rachel Beene will lead an interactive exploration of real-world experiences offered to TNCS students through our Junior and Senior Seminars.
We will hold an Admissions Program on Friday, April 20th starting at 8:30am. Please share this date with any family, friends, or neighbors who you believe may need our school. We will have a program overview of the school and then have students giving tours. If you know of someone who may be interested, but can’t make it to this program, please share Dr. Tisdale’s contact information and she would be happy to give them a tour. email@example.com, 804.266.2494.
Six members of NHS (Kaki Allende, Ella Youngblood, Bentley Butler, Rachel Garrett, Reade Stallings, Gabby Kube) went to FeedMore before spring break to drop off our donations from the Food Drive. We donated 378 lbs of food – 148 from the MS and 230 from the US! They were very appreciative – great job Sabers!
Regional History Day
TNCS made a great showing at the Regional History Day contest. 13 Upper School and 10 middle school students are moving on to the state competition, and 5 MS students were awarded Honorable Mention. State History Day is April 21st at the Virginia Museum of History and Culture in Richmond. Congratulations Sabers!
- Group Performance 1st place: Julia Glasser, Carson Rogers and Griffin Wright
- Group Performance 2nd place: Matthew Centofanti, Gage Gunderson, and Andrew Marshall
- Honorable Mention Group Performance: Mary Stewart Redmond, Max Shavers and Fox Warner
- Group Website 2nd place: Emery Bray, Sami Browne, Charlie Cuttino, and Jacob Hanes
- Honorable Mention Group Website: Quinn Karafotis and Emilio Pisons
- Senior Group Documentary 1st place: Abbott Aiken, Paul Crosby, Douglas Kurtz, Ben Marcia, and Cole Myers
- Senior Group Documentary 2nd place: Emma Bolstad, Rachel Garrett, Ben Northen, Olivia Oley, and Phil Wood.
- Senior Individual Documentary 1st place: Chris Nelms
- Senior Group Performance 1st place: Ross Miller and Olivia Taylor
Battle of the Books
Congratulations to everyone who read and participated in the Battle of the Books. On Friday, March 23 field day teams competed in our first school Battle of the Books competition. The first place team, Team 19/Light Pink led by Senior Jordan Welder (team members: Kaitlyn Winder, Olivia Oley, Morgan Crews, Carson Rogers, Griffin Wright, Charlie Loving, Tyler Neuhaus) won a free trip to the Windy Hill Sports Complex later this spring. We’d also like to recognize the following teams for their strong performance in this event:
- 2nd Place: Team 10/White led by Senior Will Goode (team members: Harrison Janney, Gabrielle Kube, Reade Stallings, Phil Wood, Andrew Marshall, Leona Williams, Matthew Centofanti, Greta Berling)
- Best Sportsmanship: Team 13/Red led by Senior Madison LaMountain (team members: Joe Seckora, Peter Whelan, Odin Anderson, Mary Steward Redmond, Michael Abouassi, Caden Davis, Kate Thompson, Oakleigh Jones)
- Honorable Mention goes to Team 3/Light Purple led by Senior Wyatt Arnold (team members: Mackenzie Wunderlich, Michael Poole, Ben Gobble, Alex Aghdami, Jacob Hanes, Davis Cowling, Matthew Nelson, Clarke Sawyer) and Team 12/ Orange led by Senior Mackenzie Hoffman (team members: Justin Tagnesi, Douglas Kurtz, Morgan Boseman, Megan Bolin, Jacob Jackson, Ella Riley, Luke Campbell, Matthew Krug) – Both teams tied for 3rd Place!
The TNCS Summer Programs brochure is live and registration is open! This year’s program includes a new lineup for the Middle School Afternoon Exploratory, Middle School and Upper School Programming, and Verbal and Math PSAT/SAT prep courses. Click here to see this year’s brochure. Register early and save!
Upcoming Meetings for Europe Trip Summer 2018
We have 1 more meeting planned to go over essential information about the trip. The meeting will be on Sunday, April 22 in Greenwood Commons from 7-8pm. Parents and students are invited to attend. Questions? Contact Mrs. Noble or Ms. Latta.
Game schedules and scores can be found on www.tncsathletics.org.
UPPER SCHOOL NEWS
Important upcoming dates regarding College Counseling at TNCS
- The Sophomore Parent Meeting will take place on Wednesday, April 11th in Greenwood Commons at 8am. The meeting will cover topics such as college counseling at TNCS, updating testing for College Board and college accommodations, and how the college search process works for students with learning differences.
- The Junior College trip will be on Thursday, April 12th and Friday April 13th. Ms. Latta will be sending out further communication regarding the trip this week. If you have any questions or concerns, please contact her at firstname.lastname@example.org or 804.266.2494 x2265.
- College night will take place on Thursday, April 19th from 7-9pm at Collegiate. This night is a great opportunity for sophomores and juniors interested in learning more about colleges. Sophomores may use this opportunity to start learning about college options, while juniors may use this opportunity to have more focused conversations with college representatives from around the country.
- The diagnostic PSAT for sophomores will take place on Saturday, April 21st at 8:30am and will be over by noon.
- The junior class will take the May SAT on Saturday, May 5th and Sunday, May 6th. Juniors will register for the SAT in Junior Seminar in March.
College Decisions and Deadlines
Seniors and parents: You are almost done with your college application process! By now, many of you have heard back from many of the schools you applied to. Please keep in mind the upcoming deadlines to commit to a school.
- Most colleges ask that you confirm your decision to attend and send a deposit and any necessary documentation by May 1st. If you do not do this, you may risk losing your spot at a school.
- Once you make your decision and commit to a college or university, please be sure to let the other schools know that you are turning them down. This opens up a spot for another student who may be on a waiting list for that school, and it lets you end your connection with a college without burning any bridges for the future.
- If you are considering committing to a larger college or university, please keep in mind that requests for housing might be available sooner than the May 1st deadline. Committing sooner than May 1st might open up more housing opportunities for you.
If you have any questions, please reach out to Ms. Latta.
Mondays are pizza days for lunch at TNCS, to benefit the athletic department. Slices of cheese and pepperoni pizza from Domino’s are available. Students place their order on sheets posted on campus. Pizza is $1.50/slice. Drinks are also available for $1.00. Both are billed to the student’s account. Cash is not accepted.
We are looking for parent volunteers to help serve pizza on Mondays from 11:45am – 1:15. Click here to sign up to help!
Jason’s Deli Lunch Options Tuesday – Thursday
Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays students are able to purchase in advance lunches from Jason’s Deli. Orders are submitted online by noon the day before delivery. Click here for the order form, which can also be found via a link at the top of the school’s homepage.
Food Truck Fridays
Join us for our Food Truck Fridays! Upper School Lunch, 11:53 – 12:26; Middle School Lunch, 12:33 – 1:06.
- Friday, April 13 – The Boardwalk
- Friday, April 20 – The Boardwalk
- Friday, April 27 – Carytown Burgers and Fries