Weekly Update: April 14-20
Posted by TNCS on Apr 13, 2018
Thursday, April 19
- College Fair, 7-9pm, Collegiate School
Friday, April 20
- Admissions Program, 8:30am, Greenwood Commons
Saturday, April 21
- State History Day
Box Tops Submission Deadline
The last day to submit Box Tops for Education is Friday, April 27! The winning division will receive ice-cream sandwiches during lunch later this spring, and then we will have an all-school celebration as well—dates TBD. Thank you to everyone who has participated in this fundraising event for the Parents Association!
Grades on Portals
Teachers updated grades on Portals at the end of the week. This will be the last official update prior to the end of the school year. Once final grades are calculated in June you will be able to log on to get those. In most classes there is a class memo that describes what the students have been working on as well as a brief description of what lies ahead in the closing weeks of the school year. If you have any questions about a class, please contact the teacher directly. If you have questions about accessing Portals please contact Jessica DelMonte.
State History Day
Twenty-three TNCS students will be representing our school and Central Virginia at State History Day next Saturday, April 21st, at the Virginia Museum of History and Culture. We are very proud of our students and of everything they have accomplished. Good luck at States, Sabers!
We will hold an Admissions Program on Friday, April 20th starting at 8:30am. Please share this date with any family, friends, or neighbors who you believe may need our school. We will have a program overview of the school and then have students giving tours. If you know of someone who may be interested, but can’t make it to this program, please share Dr. Tisdale’s contact information and she would be happy to give them a tour. email@example.com, 804.266.2494.
The TNCS Summer Programs brochure is live and registration is open! This year’s program includes a new lineup for the Middle School Afternoon Exploratory, Middle School and Upper School Programming, and Verbal and Math PSAT/SAT prep courses. Click here to see this year’s brochure. Register early and save!
Upcoming Meetings for Europe Trip Summer 2018
We have 1 more meeting planned to go over essential information about the trip. The meeting will be on Sunday, April 22 in Greenwood Commons from 7-8pm. Parents and students are invited to attend. Questions? Contact Mrs. Noble or Ms. Latta.
Game schedules and scores can be found on www.tncsathletics.org.
MIDDLE SCHOOL NEWS
Battle of the Books
Congratulations to the following middle school students who read at least 8 books during our Battle of the Books competition and received a free Richmond Flying Squirrels baseball ticket. They each received a free ticket to Wednesday, April 18th Richmond Squirrels Baseball Game. The game starts at 6:35pm. If you want to be a part of the fun, join us at 5:30pm to walk with our school in the Pre-Game Parade. Our school will sit in section 212.
Adam Edward Basseches-Holm, Thomas Byford, Luke Campbell, Julie Conn, Maggie Davis, Jack Feldpausch, Sam Fender, Reid Hogeland, Jacob Jackson, Owen McGregor, Michael Monahan, Chase Sandler, Hannah Smith, Anthony Vitale
UPPER SCHOOL NEWS
Important upcoming dates regarding College Counseling at TNCS
- College night will take place on Thursday, April 19th from 7-9pm at Collegiate. This night is a great opportunity for sophomores and juniors interested in learning more about colleges. Sophomores may use this opportunity to start learning about college options, while juniors may use this opportunity to have more focused conversations with college representatives from around the country.
- For parking information regarding the fair: Hosted on Collegiate’s campus, the fair is sponsored by the Richmond Area Independent Schools and attendance can total over 1,000 people. ALL STUDENTS AND PARENTS MUST PARK OFF CAMPUS – parking is available at Derbyshire Baptist Church (8800 Derbyshire Road), and there is a shuttle service to and from that lot runs throughout the evening (6:30-9:30pm).
- The diagnostic PSAT for sophomores will take place on Saturday, April 21st at 8:30am and will be over by noon. Students need to be on campus no later than 8:15am. Students will need to bring the following:
- A computer and charger
- #2 pencils
- Water bottle
- The junior class will take the May SAT on Saturday, May 5th and Sunday, May 6th. Juniors registered for the SAT in junior seminar in March.
Summer Innovation Program
The STARTSHIP Summer Innovation Program is a 6 week program that helps students grades 10-12 become better problem solvers and more effective communicators! Students will also build confidence in presenting themselves and their ideas. These skills are invaluable to starting college and launching a career. For more information, visit their website.
Mondays are pizza days for lunch at TNCS, to benefit the athletic department. Slices of cheese and pepperoni pizza from Domino’s are available. Students place their order on sheets posted on campus. Pizza is $1.50/slice. Drinks are also available for $1.00. Both are billed to the student’s account. Cash is not accepted.
We are looking for parent volunteers to help serve pizza on Mondays from 11:45am – 1:15. Click here to sign up to help!
Jason’s Deli Lunch Options Tuesday – Thursday
Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays students are able to purchase in advance lunches from Jason’s Deli. Orders are submitted online by noon the day before delivery. Click here for the order form, which can also be found via a link at the top of the school’s homepage.
Food Truck Fridays
Join us for our Food Truck Fridays! Upper School Lunch, 11:53 – 12:26; Middle School Lunch, 12:33 – 1:06.
- Friday, April 20 – The Boardwalk
- Friday, April 27 – Carytown Burgers and Fries
- Friday, May 4 – Chick-fil-A
- Friday, May 11 – Carytown Burgers and Fries
- Friday, May 18 – End of Year Celebration Trips
- Friday, May 25 – The Boardwalk