Weekly Update: April 13 – 19
Posted by TNCS on Apr 12, 2019
Saturday, April 13
- Practice PSAT for Sophomores
Friday, April 19
- Student-Led Conferences, no classes
Student-Led Conferences will be held on Friday, April 19. Students are preparing during Advisory to present and lead a discussion about their learning and growth during this school year. To sign up for a student-led conference with your child’s advisor, please follow this link for Middle School or this link for Upper School. There are no classes that day.
Parents Association Meeting Time Change
Join us for the last PA meeting of the year on April 25 from 8-9am in Greenwood Commons. Note, this is a time change because of all of the athletic games that afternoon. We hope this suits your schedule better!
NHS is sponsoring a food drive through April 30th. The Houses will compete to see who can bring in the most items. The winning House will be awarded ice cream sundaes. All donations will be given to Feed More. Most wanted items include: peanut butter, canned tuna and chicken, tomato products, low sodium canned vegetables, beans, cereal, whole grain pasta and rice, and granola bars.
The TNCS Summer Programs brochure is live and registration is open! Classes are held from June 17 – July 12. Click here to see this year’s brochure. Register by Monday, April 15th and save 5%.
Project-Based Learning is a new course for rising 5th – 8th grade students. Projects will integrate science and mathematical themes with those in the humanities and arts to ensure that students can focus on their strengths.
Tech Tip of the Week: Navigating a Digital Life
Put your best foot forward as you populate online content. Whether you are updating your Facebook status or tweeting to promote your business, Grammarly is a tool that can help with easily avoidable grammatic errors. The Grammarly site has plenty of subscription levels, but the free Chrome extension is a great place to start. Keep the Grammar Police off your bumper as you drive that internet superhighway.
MIDDLE SCHOOL NEWS
Reminder: Current 7th grade students will need a Macbook Pro or Air for the 2019-2020 school year at TNCS. Please see the Technology Specifications on our website for more details and direct questions to Jessica DelMonte.
UPPER SCHOOL NEWS
English 12 Field Trip
This Wednesday, April 17, Ms. Orsini’s English 12 students will travel to the American Shakespeare Center’s Blackfriars Theater in Staunton to see a production of Antigone. Click here for more details. If you haven’t already, please email your permission for your child to attend to email@example.com. We will leave school promptly at 8am and return at approximately 3:30pm. Students should bring a snack and lunch or money for lunch. Normal dress code applies.
Seniors: Committing to a College
Many seniors have heard back from some of the colleges to which they applied. Seniors should be aware of the deadlines to commit to a school. Most colleges require a commitment to attend, a deposit, and any necessary documentation by May 1st. Seniors risk losing a spot at a school if they do not commit to attend by a school’s deadline. Seniors are reminded to notify Mrs. Harley once they have made their final decision.
Once seniors commit to a school, they should notify the other colleges to which they were accepted that they will not be attending. This opens a spot for another student who may be on a waiting list for that school which is the responsible way to complete the process.
Seniors who are considering committing to a larger college or university may be able to request housing earlier than May 1st, so committing before the deadline could open more housing options.
Information for Juniors
- Junior parents may sign up here to schedule individual meetings with the College & Career Counselor.
- Juniors will take the SAT at TNCS on May 4th and 5th. Typically, the testing is from 8:15am-1pm on both days. Students will register for the test next week in their Junior Seminar classes. Student accounts will be charged the $47.50 fee imposed by College Board. Juniors will be encouraged to take the SAT again in the fall based on their scores and their colleges’ application requirements.
Links of Interest
- Randolph-Macon College Open House for sophomores and juniors.
- Blueprint Pre-College Summer Programs for students entering grades 9-12.
- Syracuse University Summer College for High School Students.
- Landmark College offers summer programs to assist a wide range of students with learning differences, including middle school students, high school students, graduating high school seniors, and students enrolled at colleges around the country. There is also an online option for rising high school juniors and seniors.
- Beacon College – Summer for Success Program offers a 3-week immersion experience for rising high school Juniors & Seniors who learn differently.
Daily schedules for each team can be found at www.tncsathletics.org. Please create a FAN ACCOUNT for your child’s team so you can receive alerts of schedule changes.
Mondays are pizza days for lunch at TNCS, to benefit the athletic department. Slices of cheese and pepperoni pizza from Domino’s are available. Students place their order on sheets posted on campus. Pizza is $1.50/slice. Drinks are also available for $1.00. Both are billed to the student’s account. Cash is not accepted.
We are looking for parent volunteers to help serve pizza on Mondays from 11:45am – 1:15. Click here to sign up to help!
Jason’s Deli Lunch Options Tuesday – Thursday
Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays students are able to purchase in advance lunches from Jason’s Deli. Orders are submitted online by noon the day before delivery. Click here for the order form, which can also be found via a link at the top of the school’s homepage.
Food Truck Fridays
Join us for our Food Truck Fridays! Upper School Lunch, 12:32 – 1:05; Middle School Lunch, 11:58 – 12:31.
- Friday, April 19 – Student Conference Day – No Classes
- Friday, April 26 – Pizza Lunch – Proceeds benefit Saber Athletics
- Friday, May 3 – Carytown Burgers and Fries
- Friday, May 10 – Pizza Lunch – Proceeds benefit Saber Athletics
- Friday, May 17 – End of Year Celebration Trips – No Classes
- Friday, May 24 – The Boardwalk