Tutors at The New Community School provide instruction in academic skills, content classes, and test preparation. Students come to improve their skills, broaden their knowledge, and gain confidence in their abilities. Through our customized approach and one-on-one tutoring, tailored to address individual needs, our tutorial programs build learning skills and foster academic success.
TNCS tutors are faculty members who are certified in their content area and experienced working with students who are challenged by learning differences. We have certified Orton-Gillingham and Wilson specialists on staff. Tutors are committed to delivering a customized and engaging learning experience that produces measureable results.
We specialize in teaching reading, writing, and math skills and offer individual tutorials in the following areas:
- Language Fundamentals: Through direct and systematic phonics instruction, based on the principles of Orton-Gillingham, students strengthen decoding, spelling, fluency, and reading comprehension skills.
- Math: Math courses in high school and college require automaticity and confidence when applying fundamental skills. Students learn, practice, and master basic concepts, numerical operations, and problem solving.
- Reading Comprehension: Through research-based and explicit instruction, students become engaged, active readers and critical thinkers equipped with the strategies, routines, and mindset to understand a variety of texts.
- Study Skills: Students learn effective organization, time management, reading, and test preparation strategies through a customized program that capitalizes on individual strengths.
- Written Expression: Effective writing is a prerequisite to success in virtually all subjects. Tutoring is designed to help students express themselves clearly and learn the fundamentals of syntax and grammar and paragraph and essay development.
Subject Area Tutorials
Through tutoring in subject areas, students gain a sense of mastery in their coursework and confidence in their ability to understand new material. We provide content tutoring in English, history, science, and math classes.
Tutors address homework challenges by providing students with structure, strategies, encouragement, and immediate feedback. We help students learn to organize, manage, and complete long-term projects, research papers, and essays. We also offer support with executive functioning, organizational skills, and assistive technology.
Tutors help students improve scores on important high school assessments and college entrance exams including the PSAT, SAT, ACT, and GRE. Taught by math or verbal specialists, tutorials feature personalized test-taking strategies and build skills through their application on practice test materials. Students go into a test knowing what to expect and armed with a plan for success.
We provide enriching programs for students to develop, maintain, and advance their learning skills, pursue specific academic goals, and complete summer reading projects. Flexible scheduling makes it possible for students to explore other interests and activities and attend tutorials.
An assessment of language skills in reading accuracy, comprehension, vocabulary, and spelling, using both standardized and informal measures, is valuable in pinpointing strengths and weaknesses and serves as a guide for instruction. A detailed written report along with recommendations is available.
Contact TNCS Tutoring and find out how our personalized learning can make a huge difference in school success.