This week at TNCS
Have a great summer Sabers!
Faculty Summer Plans
Several of our faculty members have exciting plans for the summer:
- Rachel Anderson: Ms. Anderson is getting married on June 17th at Kanuga in Hendersonville, NC. She will be Mrs. Beene after that. The happy couple is headed to Akumal, Mexico for their honeymoon and plan on being lazy, reading by the ocean, eating lots of tacos, and exploring the nearby Mayan ruins.
- Deb Butterworth: Ms. Butterworth is attending the Teachers’ College Reading & Writing Program at Columbia University. The Program was founded and is directed by Lucy Calkins, who is The Robinson Professor of Children’s Literature at Columbia University’s Teachers College. Ms. Butterworth will be focusing on curriculum development and planning in teaching writing & designing writing workshops, assessment based writing instruction, and using mentor texts just to name a few.
- Kelsey Orsini: Mrs. Orsini was one of two teachers in Richmond selected for a scholarship from the English Speaking Union. She will spend a month in Scotland studying creative writing and British literature at the University of Edinburgh.
- Nancy Foy, Carolyn Tisdale, and Eric Gobble: Mrs. Foy, Dr. Tisdale, and Mr. Gobble are attending The Gow School Leadership Retreat in June. The goal of the leadership retreat is to identify, nurture, and develop the next set of leaders in our types of specialty schools.
There are a few changes to faculty roles for next year that we would like to share:
- Kyle Foulger will be moving to US Science
- Rachel Anderson (Beene) and Alexander Keevil will be Co-Deans of Student Life and Personal Growth
- Adam Rothschild will be Co-Director of the Upper School, with a focus on 9th and 10th grades
- Beth Savarese will be Chair of the Math Department
The following will be joining the TNCS faculty in the fall. We will send out more information about each of them later in the summer.
- Jennifer Morgan will join us as 7th grade science teacher
- Susie Hudgins (mom of rising 6th grader Porter) will join the LF department
- Katherine Loria will also join the LF department
Summer Trip 2018: Sabers go to Europe!
TNCS will travel the summer of 2018 to Italy, France and Spain! The trip is offered to students who will be rising 9th-12th graders in summer 2018. This includes students currently in 7th-10th grades. The trip will tie in with what we study in World History in both 8th and 9th grade, and include interactive experiences such as Gladiator School in Rome and cooking classes in Spain! We will also see many other sights along the way!
There will be one more parent information meeting on Thursday, July 6, at 7:30pm in Greenwood Commons to find out more details and ask any questions you might have. We need to have at least 25 participants for the trip to happen. Financial Aid is available.
Middle School News
Rising 7th and 8th Grade Summer Social
Rising 7th and 8th grade students and parents – Join us for a cookout and a chance to meet new and rising 7th and 8th graders and their parents prior to starting TNCS in the fall. Monday, June 26th, 5:30-7pm at TNCS. Bring a lawn chair or blanket; food and beverages will be provided. Please RSVP to Carolyn Tisdale.
Rising 8th Grade Technology Requirements
The technology requirements for the 2017-2018 school year have been posted on the school website. 8th grade students are required to have an Apple laptop. If you have any question please contact Jessica DelMonte.
Upper School News
Summer College Counseling Appointments
Rising seniors and families will receive an email from Ms. Latta. The email will include a link to Sign Up Genius for summer college counseling appointments. Juniors who would like help with their college applications or families who would like a college counseling meeting over the summer are welcome to sign up.
Summer Online Classes
Please contact Ms. Morris if your son or daughter needs to take a summer online class in order to make up credits missed this past year or to clear some time on their schedule for next year. Each summer we have several students who take summer online classes – often PE – in order to keep pace with graduation requirements, create time in their schedule for a study hall, or free up time for favorite elective classes. Activities completed as part of Saber Strong (see below under Athletics) can help meet online PE requirements.
Saber Strong – Strength, Speed and Conditioning Workouts
Open to rising TNCS 8th – 12th grade girls and boys. Coaches will be at school each Monday, Tuesday and Thursday evening from 6–8pm. Sessions begin June 19th and run through August 10th (school closed on July 3-4). Instruction will focus on speed and agility development, mobility, strength development, and injury prevention. Come out, see your friends, and become the biggest, strongest, fastest Saber you can be! We’ll look for you when you’re in town and have a ride. There’s no charge for this training.
Looking Forward to Fall Sports
Fall practices start before classes start in August. Monday, August 14 for Upper School and Tuesday, August 22 for Middle School.