Weekly Update: September 16-22
Posted by TNCS on Sep 15, 2017
Monday, September 18
- 7th Grade Bonding Trip
- Stella & Dot Truck Show Fundraiser, 3-6pm, Cottage
- Europe Trip Info Meeting, 7pm, Greenwood Commons
Tuesday, September 19
- 5th/6th Grade Bonding Trip
- 9th Grade Parent Gathering, 7pm, Greenwood Commons
Wednesday, September 20
- Special Tier-1 dress day
Thursday, September 21
- Europe Trip Info Meeting, 8am, Greenwood Commons
Friday, September 22
- Coffee with Nancy, 8am, Greenwood Commons
- 9th Grade Late Night, after school until 11pm
Parent Security Badges
Parents, please remember to wear your permanent security badge lanyard anytime you are on campus. It is a good idea to keep it in your car so you always have it on hand. New parents received theirs at New Student Orientation. If you did not receive a badge, or have misplaced your badge from last year, please let April Eddleton know so we can issue a replacement.
Stella & Dot Fundraiser
On Monday, September 18 from 3-6pm the Parents Association is bringing a Stella & Dot Trunk Show to TNCS. A portion of all sales goes directly back to the school. Stop by before pickup, or while cheering on the Sabers at the boys soccer game (4:30) and girls volleyball game (5:00). The show will be set up at the Cottage.
- Can’t make it on Monday? You can order – starting now! – online. Orders placed now through Monday at 6pm – by using the link below only – will count for the TNCS fundraiser.
- Use this link for online shopping in order for your purchase to count toward TNCS: https://www.stelladot.com/sites/kellycox
Student Life: Bonding Trips
This year, every student is going on some type of adventure bonding trip with their class.
- One of the purposes of these trips is to celebrate the start of school so that all students recognize it as a fresh beginning.
- Another purpose is to facilitate bonding between new and former students outside of the confines of our classroom walls.
- Grade level teachers will also lead specific grade-level talks on these trips in order to discuss the overall experience and expectations for that grade level.
The Bonding Trips for this week are as follows:
- Monday: 7th Grade students to Triple C Camp in Charlottesville for some team-building.
- Tuesday: 5th & 6th Grade students to Triple C Camp in Charlottesville
- Friday: 9th Grade “Late Night”; an opportunity for the 9th grade students to play games, watch a movie, and enjoy some great bonding time with their classmates. Held on the TNCS campus.
Special Tier-1 Dress Day
Because students have been doing such a great job with the dress code we will be having a special Tier 1 dress day on Wednesday, September 20!
This week we will welcome facilitators from the Cameron K. Gallagher Foundation to work with our Middle and Upper School students on Friday during the Student Life block. This interactive experience will help to empower our students to proactively take care of their mental health, and to seek help when necessary for themselves or others. Upper School students will participate in follow-up workshops each day from Tuesday through Thursday. Below, a group of TNCS students and faculty participated in the Gallagher Foundations’s SpeakUp 5k last weekend.
Photos From School Events
Europe Trip 2018 is open to current 8-11 grade students. The deadline to register for the trip is September 30th. Trip leaders Julie Noble and Carolyn Latta will be holding two meetings in September for parents who are interested in learning more about the trip.
- Monday, September 18th, 7pm, Greenwood Commons
- Thursday, September 21st, 8am, Greenwood Commons
Click here to access the General Information and FAQ sheet. In our classes, we strive to bring history alive for our students, but this trip will allow them to experience reenacting history where it actually happened! If you have any questions, please contact Julie Noble or Carolyn Latta.
Grade Level Parent Gatherings
Grade level parent gatherings are a great way to get to know other parents in your child’s grade, hear from Nancy Foy and Division Directors, Eric Gobble or Carolyn Tisdale and Adam Rothschild, and ask questions. Please mark your calendar and plan to attend this gathering – click here to RSVP. All will take place on campus in Greenwood Commons. Light refreshments will be served.
- 5th/6th Grades: NEW DATE: Tuesday, October 10, 7pm
- 7th Grade: Wednesday, September 27, 7pm
- 8th Grade: Tuesday, October 3, 7pm
- 9th Grade: Tuesday, September 19, 7pm
- 10th Grade: Wednesday, October 11, 7pm
- 11th Grade: Monday, October 2, 7pm
- 12th Grade: Monday, September 25, 7pm
Coffee with Nancy
The first Coffee With Nancy of the year will be Friday, September 22 at 8am in Greenwood Commons. This is a great time to meet other parents and hear updates from Nancy Foy. This month will include discussion about assessment. There will also be opportunity to ask questions and give feedback. Limited parking is available on campus, with overflow parking at Scottish Rite Temple.
Mondays are pizza days for lunch at TNCS, to benefit the athletic department. Slices of cheese and pepperoni pizza from Domino’s are available. Students place their order on sheets posted on campus. Pizza is $1.50/slice. Drinks are also available for $1.00. Both are billed to the student’s account. Cash is not accepted.
We are looking for parent volunteers to help serve pizza on Mondays from 11:45am – 1:15. Click here to sign up to help!
Jason’s Deli Lunch Options Tuesday – Thursday
Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays students are able to purchase in advance lunches from Jason’s Deli. Orders are submitted online by noon the day before delivery. Click here for the order form, which can also be found via a link at the top of the school’s homepage.
Food Truck Fridays
Join us for our Food Truck Fridays! Upper School Lunch, 11:53 – 12:26; Middle School Lunch, 12:33 – 1:06.
- September 22 – Carytown Burgers and Fries
- September 29 – The Boardwalk
- October 6 – The Boardwalk
- October 13 – Pizza Day – Proceeds to benefit TNCS Athletics
- October 20 – No Classes, Progress Review
- October 27 – Carytown Burgers and Fries
MIDDLE SCHOOL NEWS
Student Life Class Bonding Trips
- Triple C Camp is so excited to welcome our 5th-7th grade students this Monday and Tuesday! Our students will have the opportunity to participate in some team-building activities and get to know their classmates better. They will also discuss the different experiences of being a 5th/6th or 7th grade student, and what they can expect from the year ahead.
- Last week our 8th grade students had the opportunity to enjoy an afternoon at Windy Hill! There they played some putt-putt, hit the batting cages, and raced each other on Go Karts. They also discussed the importance of being Middle School leaders, and the additional responsibilities they can expect throughout the year.
Advisory Time Friday: Goal Setting
During the Advisory block this Friday, we will be continuing to work on setting goals. Be sure to ask your child what types of goals they hope to work on throughout the year.
UPPER SCHOOL NEWS
9th Grade Parent Gathering
Please plan to attend the 9th Grade Parent Gathering, Tuesday, September 19 at 7pm in Greenwood Commons of Founders Hall. This is a wonderful networking and fellowship opportunity with fellow parents and key people in the life of your ninth grader at TNCS. The evening will include information on assessment practices in our classes, as well as the role of student life in the Upper School. Light refreshments served. If you have not already, please click here to RSVP.
Student Life Class Bonding Trips
- Last week the Juniors had a blast paddle boarding on the James River. Before embarking on their journey, they discussed what they hope to accomplish this year and the legacy they wish to leave as both individuals and as a group.
- The Sophomores had the opportunity to enjoy an afternoon at Windy Hill! There they played some putt-putt, hit the batting cages, and raced each other on Go Karts. They also discussed the 10th grade experience and various expectations they have and should be held to. It was a great time had by all!
- This Friday the 9th grade students will get to experience the first ever “Late Night” at TNCS! They will start by cheering on their classmates at the soccer and volleyball games, then enjoy dinner before participating in a series of hilarious and fun games. They will finish the evening with a movie in Greenwood Commons. This will help them to enjoy some time together and get to know each other even better.
During the Student Life block this Friday, Upper School students will have the opportunity to present their club ideas and select a club. Clubs this year are student-led and organized, and we are excited to see all of the ideas they bring forward!
Game schedules and scores can be found on www.tncsathletics.org.