Weekly Update: September 15-21
Posted by TNCS on Sep 14, 2018
Tuesday, September 18
- 5th & 6th Grade Team-Building Trip to Triangle Rock Club RVA
Thursday, September 20
- 7th Grade Team-Building Trip to Triangle Rock Club RVA
Friday, September 21
- 8th Grade Team-Building Trip to Triangle Rock Club RVA
- 9th Grade Trip to Field Day of the Past
- 9th Grade Late Night
- Art Educator as Artist Art Show, Crossroads Gallery, 6-9pm
Tech Tip of the Week
Need a picture for a project? Don’t forget all TNCS students have access to ImageQuest, a great resource for pictures that you have permission to use. Even better, the citation for each image is done for you, all you have to do is copy and paste it into your sources. Where is this resource? There is a link on the sign in page for Portals! Forgot your login? Just see or email Mrs. DelMonte from your school email account and she will send you the details.
Parent Grade Level Gatherings
The Parent Grade Level Gatherings are a great chance to meet other parents in your child’s grade, hear from the Head of School and Division Director, ask questions, and share experiences. We hope you will plan to attend this event – details are below. **Please note the time change—all gatherings now start at 7pm. RSVP to Virginia McAndrew: email@example.com, 804.266.2494 x2251.
- 5th & 6th Grades: Monday, September 24, 7pm, Fender home, dinner provided
- 7th Grade: Wednesday, September 26, 7pm, Williams home, dinner provided
- 8th Grade: Thursday, September 27, 7pm, Conn home, heavy hors d’oeuvres provided
- 9th Grade: Tuesday, September 25, 7pm, Browne home, heavy hors d’oeuvres provided
- 10th Grade: Thursday, September 20, 7pm, Oley home, dinner provided
- 11th Grade: Tuesday, October 2, 7pm, Dames/Siegel home, dinner provided
- 12th Grade: Thursday, October 18, 7pm, Marcia home, dinner provided
Art Educator Art Show
The Central Virginia Art Education Association hosts an annual art show that consists of artwork by local art teachers. This year’s show will be at Crossroads Art Center from September 21 through November 4, with an opening reception this Friday from 6-9pm. Our very own Mrs. Webb has one of her pieces in the show! Stop by the reception or anytime until November 4 to check out the show!
Box Tops Collection
Don’t forget to collect and turn in your Box Tops – the winning division for 1st semester, Middle or Upper, will receive a celebratory treat during lunch!
Calling all Saber Golfers!
TNCS is fortunate to have the top high school golf coach (public or private) in Virginia lead our Saber golf program. Coach Janet Phillips will be hosting a FREE GOLF CLINIC for any interested Saber students on Saturday, October 6, 1–2pm, at Windy Hill Sports Complex in Midlothian. Golf is a spring sport at TNCS. This fall clinic is an opportunity for our new and returning golfers to connect with Coach Phillips and each other. Interested students must sign-up on the sheet outside Coach Gobble’s office.
Athletic Schedules & Winter Sports Sign-Ups
Daily schedules for each team can be found at www.tncsathletics.org. Please create a FAN ACCOUNT for your child’s team so you can receive alerts of schedule changes.
Saber Sports will be holding Winter Sports Sign-Ups in mid-September. Students will be encouraged to sign-up for basketball, wrestling, or rock climbing for the winter season (mid-November – mid-February).
UPPER SCHOOL NEWS
9th Grade Field Trip
9th Grade Late Night
The 9th Grade Late Night has been rescheduled for Friday, September 21. If your child’s RSVP status has changed, please let Ms. Beene know.
Photographers at Work
Our Upper School students have several opportunities to learn about photography. Currently, Introduction to Visual Arts – Photography, and Digital Photography 1 classes are blogging to reflect their learning as well as share their work. Please take a moment or two to explore each class’s website. Click any image to get a larger view. We have seriously talented students!
Computer Science Day at VCU
The Computer Science Department at the VCU College of Engineering is hosting its Computer Science Day on Saturday, September 29. Attendees from across Virginia are invited to learn about the dynamic range of research directions and industry opportunities a career in CS has to offer. Activities include:
- Faculty-led presentations and discussions on research in quantum computing, natural language processing and high-performance data computing
- Sessions with industry representatives so students can get a leg up on CS job opportunities and how to prepare for them
- Early research opportunities in CS for high school students — right here at VCU
- Hackathons at VCU
- Discussion panels, one for research and one for industry, to give students a chance to discuss any questions they have with panel members.
There is no cost for admission, and lunch is provided. Click here for further details and to register.
Mondays are pizza days for lunch at TNCS, to benefit the athletic department. Slices of cheese and pepperoni pizza from Domino’s are available. Students place their order on sheets posted on campus. Pizza is $1.50/slice. Drinks are also available for $1.00. Both are billed to the student’s account. Cash is not accepted.
We are looking for parent volunteers to help serve pizza on Mondays from 11:45am – 1:15. Click here to sign up to help!
Jason’s Deli Lunch Options Tuesday – Thursday
Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays students are able to purchase in advance lunches from Jason’s Deli. Orders are submitted online by noon the day before delivery. Click here for the order form, which can also be found via a link at the top of the school’s homepage.
Food Truck Fridays
Join us for our Food Truck Fridays! Upper School Lunch, 12:32 – 1:05; Middle School Lunch, 11:58 – 12:31.
- Friday, September 21 – Carytown Burgers and Fries
- Friday, September 28 – NHS lunch fundraiser, details coming soon
- Friday, October 5 – Carytown Burgers and Fries
- Friday, October 12 – Professional Development Day, no classes
- Friday, October 19 – Progress Review, no classes
- Friday, October 26 – The Boardwalk