Weekly Update: October 20 – 26
Posted by TNCS on Oct 19, 2018
Monday, October 22
- Picture Day
Saturday, October 27 & Sunday, October 28
- ACT Testing
Don’t forget: School picture day is Monday. Either Tier 2 or Tier 3 attire is appropriate for pictures.
Tech Tip of the Week
Learning Ally is a tool available to TNCS students to make reading accessible. Please help us by downloading the Learning Ally Link app to the Apple ID associated with your student’s devices. We will assist with account set up and instruct on how to find books and place them on their shelves. Click here to download directions for getting the app. See Mrs. DelMonte or your child’s LF teacher for questions or login credentials.
TNCS PA Fall Raffle Sales Begin Monday
Be on the lookout for an email announcing our fall raffle items hitting inboxes Monday. You won’t want to miss this! Sales start Monday, October 22 and run through November 20 at noon. Tickets are open to everyone, so please share the email with friends, family, co-workers, etc. Parent volunteers are needed to help sell tickets – click here to sign up!
UPPER SCHOOL NEWS
College Rep Visits
Two college representatives will be visiting TNCS.
- Tuesday, October 23rd, Sarah Lindberg from the University of Mary Washington
- Wednesday, October 24th, Jean Swartz from Shenandoah University
The representatives will be in Mrs. Harley’s room (Morris Hall, Room 103) during Extra Help. Sophomores and Juniors who are interested in learning more about these colleges and Seniors who are applying to these colleges should plan on attending. The full list of college representatives that will be visiting TNCS this fall can be found here.
SAT & ACT for Seniors
The next SAT testing dates for Seniors are December 1st and 2nd. Students should register using their College Board accounts. The SAT registration fee is $47.50. The registration deadline is Friday, November 2nd. Students are welcome to see Mrs. Harley in Morris Hall, Room 103 for registration help.
The next ACT testing dates for Seniors are December 8th and 9th. The registration deadline is Friday, November 2nd. Students should register through www.act.org.
Students are welcome to see Mrs. Harley in Morris Hall, Room 103 for registration help.
10th Grade Field Trip
Tenth grade English classes will go on a walking tour of Jackson Ward on Tuesday to support their study of the Harlem Renaissance. Physical Science students will be visiting Hamilton-Beech, a few students at a time, beginning Thursday to continue their study of engineering. Neither trip will impact arrival or dismissal times.
TNCS Combines Forces with Triangle Rock Club
We had a great response from 30 students who signed up for our inaugural TNCS rock climbing team. Triangle Rock Club will be sending a link to those families for registration and payment. This is going to be a very exciting season! Instructors will be working closely with our students giving climbing lessons.
- Sessions begin on Monday, November 12 and run through mid-February
- Sessions will be Mondays and Thursdays throughout the season, 4–5pm
- TNCS faculty, Josh Roy and Jarrod Boitet, will bus students and supervise each session
- Family cost of $295 includes a season of instruction from TRC staff and climbing harness rental for each session
Basketball Still a Hit
75 Sabers have registered for basketball! We will have 7 (5 boys, 2 girls) teams – varsity girls, middle school girls, varsity boys, junior varsity boys, plus 3 MS boys teams that will be separated by ability and experience.
- All Boys practices begin Monday, November 5. The first week will be used to determine team placement for each boy.
- All Girls practices begin Monday, November 12 for the middle school and varsity teams.
- Practice times and places (remember, 7 teams/1 court) for teams vary according to day and according to team. US teams will often practice at TNCS 4:30–6:30. Some MS teams will practice 3:30–4:30. TNCS also rents off-campus courts 4–5pm each day that teams will be bused to and from.
- Full daily schedules for each team will be posted at www.tncsathletics.org prior to the start of the season.
Not Ready for Wrestling
We did not have enough students sign up to launch a Saber wrestling program this year. Students who are interested in joining a club program should see Coach Gobble for recommendations.
Daily schedules for each team can be found at www.tncsathletics.org. Please create a FAN ACCOUNT for your child’s team so you can receive alerts of schedule changes.
Mondays are pizza days for lunch at TNCS, to benefit the athletic department. Slices of cheese and pepperoni pizza from Domino’s are available. Students place their order on sheets posted on campus. Pizza is $1.50/slice. Drinks are also available for $1.00. Both are billed to the student’s account. Cash is not accepted.
We are looking for parent volunteers to help serve pizza on Mondays from 11:45am – 1:15. Click here to sign up to help!
Jason’s Deli Lunch Options Tuesday – Thursday
Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays students are able to purchase in advance lunches from Jason’s Deli. Orders are submitted online by noon the day before delivery. Click here for the order form, which can also be found via a link at the top of the school’s homepage.
Food Truck Fridays
Join us for our Food Truck Fridays! Upper School Lunch, 12:32 – 1:05; Middle School Lunch, 11:58 – 12:31.
- Friday, October 26 – The Boardwalk