Weekly Update: May 26-June 1
Posted by TNCS on May 25, 2018
Monday, May 28
- Memorial Day, no classes
Tuesday, May 29 – Thursday, May 31
- Exams/Projects, special schedule
Friday, June 1
- No classes for 5th – 7th grades
- 8th Grade Moving Up Ceremony, 10:30am, Activities Center
Saturday, June 2
- Exam Make-ups
- SAT (Saturday and Sunday)
Student Spotlight: Madeline Bray
Madeline Bray has recently completed extensive training and is now a certified lifeguard. She plans to be keeping the pool safe at the Lewis Ginter Recreation Association this summer. Congratulations, Madeline!
8th through 12th grade students taking exams are reminded to bring their fully charged laptop each day (except for your math exam). If you have a laptop that doesn’t keep a charge for very long, please also bring your charger.
Thank you to everyone who dropped off items during Teacher Appreciation Week! The faculty and staff felt extremely appreciated and amazed at the generosity of TNCS parents. Thank you!
- We have a lot of platters, bowls, etc. that are still here, and they will be in the front hall of Massey for pick-up. If you’re looking for something that you don’t see, please email Virginia McAndrew.
Mark your calendars to attend our 2018 Commencement Ceremony on Tuesday, June 5 at 5pm in the Activity Center. At The New Community School, Commencement is a full-school event that celebrates the accomplishments of our seniors and is an opportunity to wish them well as they go on to the next step in their lives. In many ways, it is a celebration of all of the wonderful things that make TNCS a unique place. We look forward to seeing you at this wonderful celebration!
- Seniors should meet in Massey Hall by 3:45 dressed in cap and gown. See full senior requirements here.
- 5th -11th grade students are expected to arrive at school by 4:40pm to line up for the Processional. In order to pay proper respect to this important event, students are asked to dress in Tier 3 attire (Handbook, Page 20):
- Males: Sport coat, dress shirt tucked in, tie, dress pants or khakis, belt, and dress shoes. No baseball caps.
- Females: Dress or skirt (fingertip length or longer), or blouse and slacks. Dress shoes. Flip-flops, clogs, and sneakers are inappropriate.
Summer Online PE
Each summer, several TNCS students take an online PE class in order to make up credits missed due to illness or injury or free up time in their schedule. The class they usually take is called Fitness Fundamentals 1; it is offered through Carone Fitness. The students take the accelerated version, which is an 8 week course (link to register). Contact Ms. Morris with questions about the class. Please give them Mr. Rothschild’s email (email@example.com) as the school contact, to make sure that the school receives grades and credits. You don’t need to register until a week or so before you want your child to begin the class.
The TNCS Summer Programs brochure is live and registration is open! This year’s program includes a new lineup for the Middle School Afternoon Exploratory, Middle School and Upper School Programming, and Verbal and Math PSAT/SAT prep courses. Click here to see this year’s brochure. Register early and save!
MIDDLE SCHOOL NEWS
5/6 Field Trip
On Wednesday, May 30, 5th & 6th grade students will be traveling to the Shoosmith Landfill Recycling Center in Chester as part of their special end-of-year project. We will depart at 8:30am and return by 10:30am. Permission slips have been sent home. Please return the forms ASAP. You can also find a copy attached here. Contact Becca Carmichael with any questions. Thank you!
UPPER SCHOOL NEWS
Senior Parents – Please review these Graduation Details with your senior. Graduation is only 12 days away!