Weekly Update: March 24 – 30
Posted by TNCS on Mar 23, 2018
Saturday, March 24
- READ Art Show & Sale, Open Free, 10am-4pm.
- Regional History Day.
Tuesday, March 27
- Conference Day, no classes.
Friday, March 30
- Noon dismissal for Spring Break.
Monday, April 2 – Friday, April 6
- Spring Break, no classes.
This coming Tuesday we will have our student-led conferences, rescheduled from last week’s snow day. These are for parents, students, and advisors. Because of the conferences there are no classes on Tuesday, March 27th. The time that you signed up for last week is the time that your conference will be scheduled on Tuesday. If that time still works, you do not need to do anything. If you need to make a change to your conference time, please visit the Signup Genius to check for available times and reschedule your appointment.
If you are unable to attend on Tuesday, please contact your child’s advisor directly. They will work with you to make other arrangements. Click here for the faculty email directory.
Regional History Day
Saturday, March 24th, is regional History Day. TNCS is sending a large contingent of 8th, 9th, and 11th grade students to John Tyler Community College to compete against students from throughout Central Virginia. The top projects in each category will move on to State History Day. Good luck, Sabers!
Student Art Exhibit
The student art exhibit is currently on display at Stir Crazy Cafe and will continue through March 28. Don’t miss it!
Canned Food Drive
Each year the TNCS chapter of NHS conducts a canned food drive to benefit the Central Virginia Food Bank. This year the drive will occur throughout the month of March. Students should bring their contributions to the Greenwood Commons in Founders Hall. We are running a contest to see which division – middle or upper – can bring in the most food, so students should put the food in the box for their division. The Food Bank needs non-perishable food in non-glass containers. NHS thanks you for your support!
The TNCS Summer Programs brochure is live and registration is open! This year’s program includes a new lineup for the Middle School Afternoon Exploratory, Middle School and Upper School Programming, and Verbal and Math PSAT/SAT prep courses. Click here to see this year’s brochure. Register early and save!
Upcoming Meetings for Europe Trip Summer 2018
We have 1 more meeting planned to go over essential information about the trip. The meeting will be on Sunday, April 22 in Greenwood Commons from 7-8pm. Parents and students are invited to attend. Questions? Contact Mrs. Noble or Ms. Latta.
Game schedules and scores can be found on www.tncsathletics.org.
MIDDLE SCHOOL NEWS
Reading Games and the Richmond Flying Squirrels
The Richmond Flying Squirrels Baseball team wants to help encourage Middle School students to read for our Learning Ally Great Reading Games and Battle of the Books! The Squirrels will give a free baseball ticket to their April 18 game (with fireworks!) to every student who reads 8 books between February 1 and March 30. Students can earn a free ticket by having their LF teacher sign off that they read each of the 8 books on a special Squirrels bookmark. We will give the bookmarks out next week. When a student has read 8 books, they will turn the bookmark in to Mrs. Petzer to receive a free baseball ticket. Keep Reading, Sabers!
UPPER SCHOOL NEWS
Important upcoming dates regarding College Counseling at TNCS
- The Sophomore Parent Meeting will take place on Wednesday, April 11th in Greenwood Commons at 8am. The meeting will cover topics such as college counseling at TNCS, updating testing for College Board and college accommodations, and how the college search process works for students with learning differences.
- The Junior College trip will be on Thursday, April 12th and Friday April 13th. Ms. Latta will be sending out further communication regarding the trip this week. If you have any questions or concerns, please contact her at email@example.com or 804.266.2494 x2265.
- College night will take place on Thursday, April 19th from 7-9pm at Collegiate. This night is a great opportunity for sophomores and juniors interested in learning more about colleges. Sophomores may use this opportunity to start learning about college options, while juniors may use this opportunity to have more focused conversations with college representatives from around the country.
- The diagnostic PSAT for sophomores will take place on Saturday, April 21st at 8:30am and will be over by noon.
- The junior class will take the May SAT on Saturday, May 5th and Sunday, May 6th. Juniors will register for the SAT in Junior Seminar in March.
Camp Unplugged, a program by Tad’s Kids is a meaningful and FUN outdoor experience that allows kids to be kids in an “unplugged” environment while providing tools for self-esteem, stress, resiliency, and social media “smarts”. They will be having a high school weekend April 13-15 at Camp Hanover. The cost is free. For more information, visit their website.
Mondays are pizza days for lunch at TNCS, to benefit the athletic department. Slices of cheese and pepperoni pizza from Domino’s are available. Students place their order on sheets posted on campus. Pizza is $1.50/slice. Drinks are also available for $1.00. Both are billed to the student’s account. Cash is not accepted.
We are looking for parent volunteers to help serve pizza on Mondays from 11:45am – 1:15. Click here to sign up to help!
Jason’s Deli Lunch Options Tuesday – Thursday
Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays students are able to purchase in advance lunches from Jason’s Deli. Orders are submitted online by noon the day before delivery. Click here for the order form, which can also be found via a link at the top of the school’s homepage.
Food Truck Fridays
Join us for our Food Truck Fridays! Upper School Lunch, 11:53 – 12:26; Middle School Lunch, 12:33 – 1:06.