Weekly Update: December 14 – January 4
Posted by TNCS on Dec 14, 2018
Saturday, December 15
- Arlington Wreaths Across America Trip
Monday, December 17 – Wednesday, December 19
- Noon Dismissal for Winter Break
Thursday, January 3
- Classes Resume
Students taking exams received a paper copy of their individual exam schedules. Schedules were also emailed to parents and to students’ TNCS email addresses. Because of the snow, exams will be held one school day later than indicated on the students’ schedules. Our exam period continues through Wednesday.
- 5th – 7th grade students will not have exams and will have a normal schedule these days. Wednesday is a noon dismissal for the holidays.
- The following lunch options will be available to our 5th – 7th grade students during time:
- Monday, December 17: Pizza Lunch (Ordering through campus sign-up sheets)
- Tuesday, December 18: Jason’s Deli (Pre-Order Online by Monday, December 17, 12:00 Noon)
- No lunch served on Wednesday due to noon dismissal.
- 8th – 12th grade students will have exams/projects. Students are only expected to be here while they are taking exams or participating in their projects. They are not expected to be at school once their academic obligations are over for the day.
- Exams originally scheduled for Friday will be held Monday.
- Exams originally scheduled for Monday will be held Tuesday.
- Exams originally scheduled for Tuesday will be held Wednesday.
- The English 10 exam project conference will now be held after the holidays. Students should not report for the English 10 conference this week.
New Faculty Member
TNCS welcomes Shannon Elkins to the Health & Wellness Department faculty. For the second semester, Shannon Elkins will teach PE at TNCS. Ms. Elkins will join current PE teachers James Brown and Eric Gobble to work with our MS and US PE classes. Ms. Elkins first came to TNCS last spring as a contracted yoga instructor, and taught yoga classes to our students and faculty. A graduate of Springfield College (MA) with a degree in Health & Fitness, Ms. Elkins brings a wealth of experience as a group exercise instructor, personal trainer, and nutrition consultant. She is the mother of TNCS student Slade Salisbury (‘22). Welcome, Shannon Elkins!
Tech Tip of the Week
It’s the most wonderful time of the year!!! During this extended winter break think of cleaning up your digital tools. Click here for a few suggestions to improve your device’s performance.
pqbd Jewelry Discount & Holiday Shipping
TNCS parent, Rebecca Warner (Fox and Ryland), is the creator of a line of jewelry that is designed to raise awareness for dyslexia. Rebecca generously donates 10% of sales to TNCS. All you have to do when ordering online is reference TNCS in the field that asks how you heard about the dyslexia symbol. Orders can ship in time for Christmas if placed by December 20th. Order at pqbd.org. Thank you Rebecca!
UPPER SCHOOL NEWS
Recent College Acceptances
- Morgan, Old Dominion University
- Noa, Randolph College
PSAT Test Scores Released
The PSAT/NMSQT was given to TNCS juniors in mid-October and the test scores have recently been released. The PSAT is designed to help prepare students for the SAT, college, and careers. The score reports along with an explanation of the test components and factors that may influence the students’ May SAT score will be emailed to students and parents before the winter break. After the break, the College & Career Counselor will begin Junior Seminar by explaining the score reports to students in detail and identify the next steps for them to take to prepare for the SAT in May.
Basketball Hoodies Still Available!
Middle school boys and girls players are encouraged to buy a yellow warm-up hoodie. They can be purchased in the athletic office from Coach Gobble or Coach Brown. Players should bring $20 cash or check.
Reindeer Games at TNCS
Kick off the break with some Saber spirit! We are hosting the 1st annual TNCS Reindeer Games boys varsity basketball tournament on December 19 and 20.
Wednesday, December 19
- 5:00 Veritas School vs. New Covenant Schools of Lynchburg
- 6:30 TNCS vs. Lynnhaven Academy
- Make it dinner and a game! The Boardwalk Food Truck will be on campus all evening.
Thursday, December 20
- 1:00 Consolation Game
- 2:30 Championship Game
- 4:00 Awards Presentation
Daily schedules for each team can be found at www.tncsathletics.org. Please create a FAN ACCOUNT for your child’s team so you can receive alerts of schedule changes.
Mondays are pizza days for lunch at TNCS, to benefit the athletic department. Slices of cheese and pepperoni pizza from Domino’s are available. Students place their order on sheets posted on campus. Pizza is $1.50/slice. Drinks are also available for $1.00. Both are billed to the student’s account. Cash is not accepted.
We are looking for parent volunteers to help serve pizza on Mondays from 11:45am – 1:15. Click here to sign up to help!
Jason’s Deli Lunch Options Tuesday – Thursday
Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays students are able to purchase in advance lunches from Jason’s Deli. Orders are submitted online by noon the day before delivery. Click here for the order form, which can also be found via a link at the top of the school’s homepage.
Food Truck Fridays
Join us for our Food Truck Fridays! Upper School Lunch, 12:32 – 1:05; Middle School Lunch, 11:58 – 12:31.
- Food Trucks will resume in January!